Monday, October 5, 2026

falling back on an old favorite

 I didn't have a huge hike planned for this weekend, so on Sunday, after the sun came up enough to brighten the sky, I headed up to Alta to do my new favorite eight mile loop.  It had been over a month since I was up there and the differences were stark.

Aspens aglow

For one, the wildflowers?  Way past peak.  Everything is brown and gold and crispy right now.  I didn't see a single bride or influencer!  As I made my way up to Catherine's Pass through the Albion meadows, it was so cool and quiet.  While there were cars in both the lower and the upper lots, it was so much less crowded.  I saw one trail runner and one hiker on my way up; there were six other hikers at Catherine's Pass when I got there.

Moody scene

It had been a glorious 46 F when I started hiking, which meant I wore some light fleece gloves for the first 1.5 miles until my hands warmed up.  I had to put them on again about halfway down when a light breeze picked up.  It was wonderful being a little bit chilly again after the hot summer we've had.

Definitely past peak (still pretty, I think)

There were a good number of critters out and about with me: lots of those little ground squirrels that look like skinny chipmunks, two different sets of a mule deer doe with nearly-grown twin fauns, and some very chunky pikas who meeped loudly at me as I went traipsing by.

Just before the cutest pika ever started meeping at me

As I came out through the campground (closed), there were definitely more hikers milling about, heading towards Cecret Lake.  It was nothing like it had been in July, though, and I was appreciative of that.  Where were all the people?  It sure seemed like they were heading to Snowbird's Oktoberfest: there's only two weekends left, so if you're looking to get your 'fest on, get going!

Squatchin'


No comments:

Post a Comment