Friday, September 27, 2024

twenty on trail

 We haven't been doing as much hiking this summer*, and H hasn't been doing as much road riding (Moab bike path rides with A notwithstanding), because H has been focusing on trail running.  He's been doing it for ten months now and is on his second pair of shoes.  And, mid-September, he did his highest mileage yet: twenty miles.  Twenty!  I'm so proud of him (and wondering how far he's fixing to go before this is over ...).


That note is what he left for me so I would know how long he thought he might be gone - and at what point I should start worrying about him.  I didn't even get the chance to think about worrying as he finished ten minutes ahead of his best-case scenario time.  The route was a mix of surfaces: wood chips in Dimple Dell, a little bit of asphalt along Wasatch Boulevard and then hard pack dirt up on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.  And the morning temperatures were nice and cool in the shade along the base of the mountains.

* Gosh, I feel like I say that a lot the last few years.  First, we cut back when we got Milton because a lot of the hiking along the Wasatch Front is not dog-friendly and we didn't want to always leave him alone on the weekends.  Then, the trails just got SO crowded because so many people have moved to SLC (yes, I know we're part of that problem).  And last summer, I was recovering from my ankle sprain which was a slow recovery.  And then now, this.  Maybe next summer we'll get out there more.

No comments:

Post a Comment