Tuesday, August 13, 2024

csa summer: fifth box

 I can't believe I'm saying this: I'd rather get zucchini than beets in our CSA box.  Zucchini is much easier to hide in recipes than beets - easier and less messy to work with too.  And at this point, I have five or six beets waiting for me to pay attention to.  I keep ignoring them.  They're root vegetables - they'll keep a while.  So what else did we get, besides beets?  Lacinato kale (a/k/a dinosaur kale), two boxes of the BEST blackberries, green beans, a couple ears of corn, lots of apricots, a little zucchini, a little summer squash and a big cantaloupe.

We ate the corn and half the green beans the first night, along with curried lentils and quinoa that also used up the kale.  The blackberries were too delicious not to just eat, although I put some in my morning oatmeal.  The melon was really good too, so we just ate that; I did put some into a smoothie with half that summer squash and some frozen mango.  Any too-ripe apricots got frozen and we've been working our way through eating the rest of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment