Wednesday, June 30, 2010

utah arts fest '10

Rats!  This was supposed to post on June 30th - I don't know why the automatic post elf fell down on the job.

Lest those of you from other states think that we Utahns are utter cultural heathens, I should probably let you know about the 34th annual Utah Arts Fest that took over downtown SLC last weekend.  It's the largest event of its kind in the state with over 78,000 attendees over four days, featuring over 140 visual artists showing and selling their wares, food vendors and demonstrations, indie film, dance, street theater, spoken word performance, "urban art" and oodles of musical acts.

I managed to squeeze in a couple of early hours there on Saturday, which unfortunately was before everything - like the music, poetry, film - kicked into gear, but the artists and artisans in their little tents were fantastic and varied, including glass-blowers, jewelry-makers, photographers, painters, sculptors, guitar-makers, shoemakers and potters.  I think my very favorite was Fred Conlon, a metal worker from right here in SLC, whose yard art/sculptures of charismatic frogs, pigs, robots, bugs, lawn gnome-eating goblins and tiki-torch-wielding skeletons were just fantastic - kind of like if someone were to hand Tim Burton a blowtorch and tell him not to take himself too seriously.

I was specifically looking for one vendor: the Revinylize Project.  They reclaim local billboard coverings, cut them up and repurpose them into uniquely patterned tote bags, messenger bags and other accessories.  I found them and bought a red, black and white tote bag ($20).  I wish I knew what the billboard advertised but I have no idea: on the back of the bag is a red O, or maybe a zero, on a white background.  You got me.  But it's a genius idea and a cool product, and I'm pleased to support them.

Several folks from work were going to the Arts Fest in the evenings for the music: Michelle Shocked, the Cowboy Junkies, the Salt Lake Jazz Orchestra, celtic rock (Stonecircle and Wagger), alternative cajun (Swamp Boogie), bluegrass (Ridin' the Faultline), gypsy soul/pop (La Farsa) ... seriously, check out the performance schedule and see what all there was.  I tell you what, next year I plan to get my act together ahead of time and really take advantage of this festival.  Cool stuff here in the scorching desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment