Thursday, August 12, 2010

frozen treats

On our way west to the Kennecott mine, I mentioned to H (possibly only one or twice but probably more like 3-4 times) that I wanted to get a shaved ice/sno-cone.  Those little stands are all over the valley in shopping plaza parking lots and every time I drive by one I think, "Gosh, I really want to try one of those."  So suddenly H turns into a car wash, pulls up next to a Willly's Shaved Ice and goes, "Go on.  Go get one."

I hop out and peruse the list of flavors, finally asking the girl behind the counter for a recommendation since I've never had one of these before.  And this is part of what I love about Utah: almost everyone is so nice and friendly.  Back east, the ice cream server would be like, um try grape or cherry or whatever, $2.00.  But this girl got a huge smile on her face, and wanted to know where I was from if I'd never had a "snowie" before, and what was Maine like, and hadn't I been buying like tons of lotion and conditioner since it's so dry out here.  Supercute. 

She also told me that "tiger's blood" is the go-to shaved ice flavor: watermelon + strawberry + coconut.  I'm certainly not one to disagree with a professional so tiger's blood is what I got. A $2 medium was huge and a bright gory red that quickly stained my tongue.  H rolled his eyes so hard when I got back in the truck with my treat that I think he saw the back of his skull, but I didn't care.  It was a little sweet (I think I'll try a tart flavor next time) but the shaved ice was soft and the straw had a little scoop on the end so I could spoon up the goodness if I didn't want to wait for it to melt.

You might think that's enough frozen concoctions for one day, but no.  As we headed east again after Butterfield Canyon, we consulted our talking GPS for the closest Leatherby's Family Creamery, an ice cream place that one of H's coworkers had recommended.  We found one at 1872 W 5400 S in Taylorsville.  Although it was closing in on 6:00 p.m., we ignored the actual food side of the menu and focused on the ice cream sundaes.  H ordered a "black and white" with chocolate ice cream and chocolate and marshmallow sauces; I ordered one with chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate sauce and malted whipped cream. 

Good grief: these sundaes were ENORMOUS.  Next time, remind me to order a little bitty one.  H's was really good and while I didn't much care for the regular choc. chip ice cream, I did think the choc. choc. chip was very good.  By the time I finished - and I did finish, calories be damned - I was shivering and shaking, the vast quantity of ice cream that I had consumed having actually lowered my body temperature.  Needless to say, we had to just sit for a while once we got back home (ice cream coma) and we did not find it necessay to eat dinner that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment