Wednesday, November 3, 2010

tea rose diner

We tried another new place for breakfast last Sunday, picking one from a 2010 "best of Utah" list: the Tea Rose Diner in Murray.  It's a tiny place, just off State Street in historic Murray, and has the distinction of being both a Thai restaurant and an American style breakfast diner.  The waitress was Thai, very cute and personable; from the voices coming from the kitchen, I believe the cooks are Thai as well.

All the traditional American breakfast items are on the menu - everything egg, bacon, pancake, sausage, etc. - and also some Thai-influenced omelettes with carrot, ginger, sprouts and mushrooms.  H had the farmer's breakfast, which was cubed potatoes, cheese, egg and ham all scrambled together with bacon on top, while I had the tasty "Jim's breakfast sandwich" - scrambled egg, bacon, cheddar and tomato on whole wheat toast.  It was all good and the bacon was excellent: thick cut and meaty.

They have a full Thai menu for lunch and dinner and I'd be interested in going back there for dinner sometime.  They also apparently a huge selection of teas - the counter was lined with dozens of glass containers holding various teas, many of which are blended by hand.  I heard another customer order the "Christmas tea" and my interest was piqued, but by then I'd had a couple cups of coffee and didn't need any more hot beverage.  Next time we go for breakfast - and I would imagine we'll go there again - I'm getting some funky tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment