Tuesday, March 29, 2011

i need powder skis

The report was this for Sunday: six inches of new snow, cloudy, moderate winds, light snow. So we slept in a little, until the bright sunshine reflecting off the 1.5 inches of snow on the ground woke us up through the blinds. We looked out the window, saw that it was sunny up in the canyon and hurried up there. Along with pretty much everyone else: it was busy, and it was busy because Alta had gotten way more than six inches. It was a bluebird powder day*!


Catherine's Area is so pretty!

Even more was closed than on Sunday, including the Supreme lift. We did a couple of runs off the Sugarloaf chair - and I immediately noticed that my legs were way fatigued and struggling with all the ungroomed stuff - noting the corral full of folks waiting for Supreme to open. Halfway down my second Sugarloaf run I saw that they were loading the Supreme chairs so H and rode Sugarloaf one more time so as to be able to get to Supreme. When we got there, all the gates to the fun stuff were still closed for a couple of runs but then ...

Then Ski Patrol opened the gates to the Supreme Bowl and Catherine's Area. And it was magnificent. Waaaaaaaay more than six inches and we had run after run after run on untracked snow. It was so much fun. I, of course, had forgotten everything I learned last weekend and fought the deep snow, but some of the blame has to rest on my skis. Now, I adore my little Volkls. They turn on a dime and can handle almost anything: groomers, ice, chop, slush, trees, moguls - they just drown in the deep stuff. I found myself leaning way back on the tails of my skis, trying to stay afloat. They'd ride on top of the snow for a while, then dive under when I tried to turn, and more than once my uphill ski would just keep turning uphill and I'd go tail-over-teakettle, H kindly informing me whenever he saw both my skis in the air.
But still, it was glorious, all that snow under bright sunshine and deep blue skies.
* at least until 1:30 p.m. when the clouds moved back in and it started to snow again.

No comments:

Post a Comment