Tuesday, September 5, 2017

backwards

After not having enough tread to finish American Fork Twin Peaks the weekend before, I went right to REI and got myself a new pair of hiking boots.  I've been wearing Merrell light hikers but went with Keens this time because the toe box was so much wider.  The Keens are higher (above my ankles) and quite a bit stiffer (more leather) so I knew I'd need to break them in a bit.  We didn't make plans for Saturday - other than chores, ugh - so I took my new boots on a 3.5 mile walk right from the house.  The left foot was perfect but my right heel rubbed a bit, leaving me with a dime-sized blister. Knowing I'd need to coddle that blister to keep from ripping it right off, I suggested that we MTB on Sunday.  A patch of moleskin later, we were in Park City for our Round Valley usual ride around 9 a.m. Sunday morning.  I had been musing about trying some different trails but H up and suggested that we do our regular route but BACKWARDS.  (Not actually riding backwards.  Riding the circuit in reverse direction.  Just to be clear.)

Coming UP the Sagebrush Switchbacks

It was so weird.  I know those trails so well but they seemed completely new.  First, we started out immediately on single-track which meant that I didn't have any time to get the wobbles out on the double-track per usual.  Second, I had to focus extra hard because my brain would recognize the stretch of trail we were on and would try to remind me what was coming around the corner, but in reverse - very disconcerting.

And third, that circuit is much easier backwards than our regular way: we rode down the Staircase; the climb up the Sagebrush Switchbacks is easy; we rode down the Sweet Sixteen; we [walked our MTBs] down Hammerhead; and the one stretch I was concerned about - the rocky descent to the bottom of My Nemesis - was fine and I rode all of it.  I wasn't crazy about going down the Sweet Sixteen because downhill switchbacks are not my strength - clearly I prefer climbing to descending.  But the very last stretch was a treat, cruising back down to Quinn's Trailhead on that double-track.  I think I prefer our usual route but I think it is really good to do it the other way, just to shake up the muscle memory.  Maybe next time we'll incorporate some new trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment