Friday, March 30, 2018

not the best day

Sunday started off mostly sunny and I, dressed for snow showers in my down vest and storm jacket, was immediately overdressed.  It didn't matter all that much, however, because I only managed a handful of runs before succumbing to brutal foot cramps.  As I scampered for the bus at 10:30 a.m., the clouds - which were already thick across the Salt Lake Valley - started creeping up the canyon, reaching tendrils a la horror movie fog into the Alta base area.

Baldy in the morning

H stuck it out until 12:30 p.m., at which point everything was totally socked in, and he decided that the cold and damp were just not worth it.  Before that, he had attempted a run in the Backside when ski patrol dropped the rope but it was just awful - it had softened up Saturday and then set up hard overnight.  It was truly a day for the groomers, which were firm but not rock-hard, and that just doesn't inspire us to stick it out until the end.

And then the clouds started creeping in

The best part of my day was when I was almost home.  I had taken the bus down, locked my skis, boots and poles in the back of the truck and then walked home.  When I was just across the street from the house, one of our neighbors (whom we never, ever see) was walking down the street with a new dog: Jaxson, an eight month old brown Australian cattle dog, just rescued three weeks ago.  He was very, very sweet, leaning into me for pats and showing off his newly-learned "sit."  Hopefully we'll see him a little more as the season eases into spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment