Wednesday, April 22, 2020

season post-mortem

Apologies for the currently missing photos on my most recent posts; the Blogger host seems to be experiencing some technical difficulties.  They're supposed to be working on a fix but if I get the chance, I'll restore those photos myself.

In the meantime, before I share our previous weekend in the desert with you, I guess I should do a little 2019/2020 ski season wrap-up.  Our last day of skiing was March 8th, just days before this country shut down, like the rest of the planet, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.   After that, one by one, the ski areas began to close to help keep community spread of the virus down.  This past Sunday (April 19th) would have been Alta's official closing day/Frank celebration.  There was decent snowfall after that - year-to-date snowfall total was 538", above average for the last ten years - and many, many folks went back-country, so many that the Alta town officials closed the parking area in Grizzly Gulch because too many people were congregating too closely.  These are weird times.

Because of the shortened season, H only got twenty-three ski days in.  Me, I just barely paid for my season pass at twelve days.  We had good snow early and then, after our friend Will was in town in early February, the storms sort of dried up.  It all just sort of fizzled out - weird times indeed.

No word yet on season passes.  The 2020/2021 ski season could be affected by the virus.  People may not have the money for season passes, depending on what the economy does.  We'll just have to see what happens.  At least we've got options.  And I know Milton wouldn't mind if we skied less and hiked in the desert more!

So raise your glasses in remembrance of the short, strange 2019/2020 ski season.  May we ski more, longer, better and safer next season!


No comments:

Post a Comment