Friday, June 19, 2020

something old

Utah has been experiencing some below normal temperatures and although it can't last and we'll soon enough be at 100 F, it's been refreshing to have to dig socks out for after-dinner TV watching.  When we went MTBing at Round Valley last Saturday, it was sunny and windy but the cooler temperatures were lovely: not too cold, just right.  We got over there right around the same time as the last time only this time it wasn't nearly as crowded.  We couldn't figure out why.  Despite the prior weekend's wet, wintry weather the trails were bone-dry but also slightly less dusty - win-win!

It wasn't much of a win for me biking-wise, however.  I haven't been able to figure out why I've been struggling so on these trails that I have ridden so many times over the last ten years.  I know I can ride them, I'm comfortable on them ... I think it's more than just being slightly out of shape, I think I haven't been able to get out of my head and focus while I'm riding.  The fact that my rear brake was SHRIEKING at me didn't help my concentration any.  It started making noise at the very end of our ride last time but we just couldn't figure it out.  After about a half hour, at H's suggestion, I tried slamming on the brakes as hard as I could but that didn't do anything.  So we picked up the back of my bike, I held the brakes tightly and he pulled my wheel through the brakes with his hand.  Amazingly, thankfully, that did it and the remainder of the ride was quiet.

 Speedwell (a/k/a Veronica).  Maybe.

We didn't ride very far this time because my head just wasn't in the game.  But we did a PorcUClimb/Rusty Shovel combo, and then climbed old-school back up the "sweet sixteen" switchbacks of Rambler, and then did P-Dog loop (PorcUClimb to Down Dog), so we did get some solid climbs in.

And then we went home and hung out on the patio and I figured out what the sole mystery plant that had popped up in our front "garden" was - must have blown in from a neighbor's yard but we think it's pretty so it gets to stay.

So you see: some climbing

Ride stats: 11:58 miles (our shortest in recent memory); 1:19 hours; 8.7 m.p.h. average/20.8 m.p.h. H's top speed

No comments:

Post a Comment