Monday, August 3, 2020

wrapping it up

Milton definitely overdid it on our Saturday hike: on our evening and morning walks to take care of business, he was limping and moaning and refused to go any further than the corner and back.  We first thought he'd actually injured himself - plus we had pulled a thorn out of one of his paws which must have been tender - but he was just stiff and sore.  Like all weekend warriors, it just took him a couple of days to get back to normal.

The view east-ish

Since the dog was in no shape to go hiking, and since H had a couple of hot spots on his feet as well, we decided to just go up to the Sand Flats Recreation Area Sunday morning so that I could take a short hike.  While the boys camped out in the parking lot, I did a quick Practice Loop circuit.  It didn't take me that long so I also added on an out-and-back on part of the Slickrock Trail. 

Grandstaff Canyon

It was pretty lowkey up there.  I saw only a handful of MTBers, a couple of hikers and one jeep.  Locals know it's too hot out there on the rocks during the day; and the pandemic has kept away lots (but not all) of the tourists.  Consider me conflicted: I hate what this virus has done to people's lives and livelihoods but I sure do like having these views all to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment