Thursday, June 10, 2021

sometimes upright, sometimes not

 Since Milton had gotten to go on that great creek hike the day before, we didn't feel too guilty about leaving him home on Sunday to MTB at Dead Horse Point State Park.  The parking lot was about one-third full when we got there but most of those folks must have been hikers/lookielous because we were the first riders out on the trail.  Proof: ours were the only tire tracks.  We did see one family around the Big Chief overlook, then four riders out on the Whiptail return, and then a fair number on Raven Roll - although far fewer than we expected.  One little girl shouted at me, "I like your bike!"  Which I thought was funny since my bike is older than she was.

It was also cool enough that we saw some critters: lots of birds, a couple of rabbits, some squirrels and lizards, and I saw a big ol' snake sunning itself on a rock.  It definitely wasn't a rattler and I would guess it was a gopher snake since it was yellow with brown blotches.  I wish I'd taken a photo but I was too busy with the combination of not running it over while also not falling off my MTB.

Me not falling over on Whiptail

Speaking of falling off one's MTB, H went down in a patch of sand near the Whiptail/Twisted Tree intersection, landing on his side with his arm between his ribs and the ground.  He was back up when I caught up to him and I never would have known - he wasn't scraped up at all - except I caught him checking for bruises back at the parking lot.  He never bruised up, so we think he probably didn't break his ribs, but one week later he's still sore.  You just take longer to heal as you get older, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment