Saturday, July 17, 2021

ferdinand would love this place

It's been so hot in northern Utah (everywhere, really) that H hasn't been able to get out to do many road rides in the evenings after work; when it's still 90+ F at 8:30 p.m., it's just too hot.  So he was eager to put some miles in on his road bike Saturday morning while it was still cool.  While he was doing that, Milton and I did our 3.25 mile (-ish) loop, leaving early enough that I was able to then drop the dog off at the house, toss my stuff in the car and get up to Alta by 7:35 a.m. for a short solo hike.  

Sunflowers and horsemint

It was already getting busy, with cars steadily pulling in as I shouldered my day pack and headed up the Summer Road.  The wildflowers are nearing peak bloom and they're a big draw.  The four day Wasatch Wildflower Festival is happening this year: July 10 at Brighton, July 11 at Solitude, July 17 at Snowbird and July 18 at Alta.  We were amazed at the wildflowers when we first moved to Utah and they continue to be amazing every year.

Gentian (one of my favorites)

At the first bend in the Summer Road, I took the hiking trail up through Albion Meadow, climbing the new(-ish) switchbacks through the field of sunflowers to the Catherine's Pass trailhead.  From there, it was up to Catherine's Pass, where other hikers were streaming in from the Brighton side.  This is not a hike for solitude, especially not when the wildflowers are popping.  I kept climbing up to the Sunset Peak/Alta Dry Fork intersection, where it was apparent that the increasing winds were filling the Salt Lake valley and the Heber valley with smoke from the California and Oregon wildfires.

Paintbrush, windflower

I was able to get away from the crowds - I had passed 28 hikers on my way up and was passed by one trail runner - by walking across the ridge above Catherine's Area to the top of the Supreme lift.  There, one more trail runner passed me and then I didn't see anyone else until I got down to the campground.  Plenty of people there though!

Paintbrush

And the hordes just kept coming too, as I walked back along the road to the Catherine's Pass trailhead, and then retraced my route down the Sunnyside switchbacks back to the Summer Road.  There were twelve cars lined up at the entry booth, people hoping to drive up to the flowers instead of walking.  There was still plenty of parking at the Albion lodge, however, so there was no reason to wait.

Sunflowers, paintbrush, 
geraniums and smoky skies

It did all make for good people-watching for those of us who like to have a refreshing beverage whilst changing our hiking shoes: dudes in kilts, moms with fanny packs, city folks fretting about mosquitoes (there's no mosquitoes), trail runners, rock climbers, motorcyclists just out to cruise the canyon.  Everyone is welcome - just don't pick the flowers.

Also seen but not photographed: Wasatch penstemon, lupine, showy daisy, scarlet gilia, columbine, sulfur buckwheat (another favorite) and many, many others.


No comments:

Post a Comment