Saturday, September 30, 2023

csa summer 2023: week 12

Jeesum crow.  This blog used to be full of hiking and MTBing, didn't it?  And now it's all food (and not in an actual professional food blog way).  I tell you, though, spraining my ankle on Memorial Day weekend really screwed up our hiking plans this summer.  My ankle is much better but I can still tell that it is weak and not nearly as strong as it used to be; it gets sore and I am terrified (not really, but you know what I mean) of rolling it.  As far as the MTBing goes, with gas prices so high, we just really haven't been inclined to drive all the way over to Park City for a couple hours at Round Valley, and the Wasatch Front side MTBing is way out of my skill level.  Hopefully we'll get over there this fall, for old time's sake.  I'd really like to have a go at Happy Gilmor.

In any event, we got another CSA box.  Once unpacked, it didn't look like all that much ... but carrying it was heavy because SQUASH is heavy.  We got pears, nectaries, apples, plums, peaches, snack peppers, a poblano pepper (wish we'd gotten more of those), onions, a zucchini (oh no), a summer squash (OH NO), a delicata squash, two kabocha squashes and some tomatoes.  So many squashes.  They grow so well - I wish we liked them more.  I also got more tomatoes, peaches and green beans from work friends because apparently the word is out that we only eat plants.

Look at the size of these! Even Milton is impressed.

Onions, peppers and tomatoes went on a homemade pizza; I made marinara (tomatoes, summer squash and backyard oregano) and ;more ginger peach jam; fresh peaches went in oatmeal; the zucchini got shredded and baked into cornbread to go with chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment