Saturday, October 14, 2023

csa summer 2023: final week

We were down in Moab (more on that later) and had to miss our week 14 CSA pickup.  This meant that we got a make-up box of apples when we picked up our final box this past week.  I can't say how much I'm enjoying getting these CSA boxes.  The produce is fantastic and local, and it makes us sometimes stretch a little out of our regular meals when we have to accommodate a new veggie.  I will admit that this year was rather squash-heavy, with so much zucchini and summer squash early on, and all the winter squashes now.  We would rather have gotten one whole box of potatoes in place of all the squash all season.  But that's not how CSAs work: you get what you get.  And now that I've found a great cornbread recipe, I can use up the zucchini in that - the winter squashes will keep longer so we've got time to work that out.


In addition to at least five varieties of apples, we got a couple of onions, five or six potatoes, some peaches, more apples, a mini pumpkin, apple cider, a delicata squash, two acorn squashes and a spaghetti squash.  The potatoes and onions will go in a soup I'm making with plant-based chorizo; I cooked down about half the apples into apple pie filling (or apple crisp filling or oatmeal topping) to freeze; I'm thinking I can find some sort of autumnal cocktail for the cider; and I do confess I gave away the acorn squashes to folks who will appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment