I know that this year was a terrible year for Utah farmers, what with the early warmth that made the fruit trees flower too soon, only to be taken out by two severe cold snaps, plus the very very hot and very very dry summer. I also enjoy supporting local businesses whenever possible (the smaller the better). All that being said, I found this past week's CSA box #12 to be a bit underwhelming. We got a small watermelon, an acorn squash, a couple of ears of corn, a bunch of apples, an onion or two, a green pepper or two and a decent number of (really dirty) potatoes.
The corn we ate right away and while the smaller ear was pretty good, the larger one was subpar. I chunked up the watermelon and unfortunately it was not as good as the prior week's - a little mushy this time. The acorn squash I roasted and mashed for Milton (that dog loves his squash) and the apples will be made into apple pie filling for the freezer. The onions, potatoes and peppers will get eaten, for sure, it just wasn't that exciting a box this time.

No comments:
Post a Comment