Friday, February 5, 2010

not everyone likes the desert

I'm not much of a gardener per se, but I've got a pretty good track record with houseplants.  H and I had a LOT of houseplants back east; he was the only guy I'd ever dated who actually had [live and thriving] houseplants when I met him, plus I brought quite a few to the relationship as well.  When we made the decision to move to Salt Lake City, we realized that we wouldn't be able to bring most of them, seeing how they wouldn't survive in the moving van and we only had limited space in our own vehicles.  After giving most of them away, we made the move with four: a teensy cactus, an unkillable shamrock-y thing, a variety of palm (I guess) and a Norfolk Island pine.

All four weathered the cross-country drive just fine and we gave them all (except the cactus) a big drink of water when we finally landed.  It didn't take long, however, before the N.I. pine started looking, well, bad.  The tips of its branches started drying up, first crisping then actually yellowing - something it had never done before in its 10+ year life.  I thought maybe it had gotten too much water, so I let it dry a bit.  That made it worse.  So, back to watering.

Finally, just this week, after watching the poor thing struggle for four months, I looked up "Norfolk Island pine care" on the interweb.  And what did I find?
What is most challenging for the typical home gardener is giving this plant the high relative humidity it needs. Norfolk Island pine thrives at 50 percent relative humidity, yet it is not unusual for the average house to drop to 15 percent during the winter heating season, unless steps are taken to increase moisture in the air. Running a humidifier will increase both people and plant comfort and is the most effective way to adequately raise the humidity.
"50 percent relative humidity!" No wonder it's dying - I brought a tree that thrives in the Pacific Northwest to the desert!  So now we've been bringing the little pine into the bathroom when we take showers, hoping the moisture in the air there will help it, and I bought a spray bottle for misting purposes, but I just don't know whether it will survive out here.  Bright sun we can do, but humid it ain't.

No comments:

Post a Comment