Wednesday, February 3, 2010

the real king of burgers

Although I usually brownbag my lunch to work (despite the recently listed outings), I had not planned ahead well and ended up needing to buy lunch last Friday. Luckily, there is a Crown Burgers very near to my office and since I’ve been in Utah for nearly four months without yet trying a Crown burger, the course was clear.


Crown Burgers is a local SLC burger joint, founded in 1978 by a pair of Greek brothers, Nick and Manuel Katsanevas.  They have a number of restaurants in SLC and a couple in Denver, CO. 

Despite the fairly substantial menu, I was going for just one thing: the eponymous Crown burger, which is a decently sized flat patty cheeseburger on a sesame seed bun, garnished with shredded lettuce, chopped onion, a slice of tomato … and an entire sandwich’s worth of pastrami. Wow. The pastrami was scarcely spiced, but it was pretty lean and flavorful and I just about wolfed it down before the juices could run down my wrists (a Crown burger is perhaps food not best eaten at your desk). It was really, really good and I spent the entire afternoon (and into the evening) full.

No comments:

Post a Comment