Wednesday, March 3, 2010

" i think i like ... bumps"

This is a quote from me, midway through Sunday's excursion to Alta, despite the flat light (which meant you couldn't see anything, including the bumps), my having no legs to speak of (a result of skipping the gym for over a week) and our not having skied for a month.

Alta is cool.  The vibe is way mellow.  It's an older crowd with lots of locals, and no snowboarders - they're just not allowed.  I was intimidated to ski there but once we started, shaky legs notwithstanding, I realized that there's nothing there that I can't ski (cliffs notwithstanding) - there's just parts that I'll ski slower than others. 

These are on one of the Sugarloaf Lift towers - Maine represent!

There's lots of terrain - something for everybody, really - and we skied a bunch of it, staying away from the real steeps, but dipping into the traversing and dropping into the choppy powder bowls, bouncing our way down tree-lined ravines filled with big, soft moguls (I fell three times today but it's so soft that it doesn't hurt), soothing our screaming thighs on the groomers.  Although we were socked in with clouds for most of today, the temperatures were warm enough to be comfortable and we'll just save the bluebird skies for another day.  Because I already told H that I want to go back, after a week on the treadmill, and see how those bumps fit me then.


Bumps, baby.  And here come falls #2 and 3.  This is heading down into Glory Gulch.

And afterwards we stopped by ... not the Porcupine, because we'll go there Wednesday for our move-iversary, but to the place next door: the Canyon Inn.  It's pretty local and not too many skiers there, despite it being at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.  We caught the end of the U.S. v. Canada hockey game and had a pitcher of Emigration Amber.  The bartender and the other folks sitting at the bar were friendly and good times were had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment