Tuesday, March 30, 2010

springtime snowshoeing

Aspens, sunshine and snow in Park City

On Sunday we made the trek to Park City to reconnect with Captain Mike whom we hadn't seen since around Thanksgiving. It was a gorgeous day and he'd offered to take us out on snowshoes. Since it's been so sunny lately and with no new snow to speak of, we had to find a trail that was mostly on northern-exposure slopes, so we ended up doing that hike up through the Silver King mining operations that he'd taken us on this fall. Despite the terrain being somewhat familiar, it all looks a whole lot different with several feet of snow covering everything.


Action shot!

It was a great excursion with plenty of snow and sun. On some of the uphill slopes I found myself panting like I was during some of our Alta traverses - even with the running and skiing I've been doing, snowshoeing apparently uses some different muscles. H struggled with his equipment some, having to keep adjusting the straps of his s'shoes and sliding sideways on the angled traverses; and I wished I'd taken the time to dig my gaiters out of whatever box they're in. It was a lesson learned: when Captain Mike offers you the use of his equipment, take it. He knows whereof he speaks.

Taking a break just above the Silver King mine (PC lifts in the background)

No comments:

Post a Comment