Monday, April 19, 2010

mangia

We tried two new restaurants this weekend.  The first was on Friday night, "date night" - by which I mean "I don't really care what we do - even ordering pizza in is fine - I just don't want to cook."  We'd been perusing the Salt Lake City Weekly's annual "Best Of" issue, looking for new places: I found a Mexican place that was listed as having the "best $1.00 margaritas" but when we actually found the restaurant, we decided that $1.00 'ritas were just not worth it. 

So we went to the "best South Valley restaurant" and "best Italian:" Fratelli Ristorante, located not too far from our house.  Fratelli had also been recommended to me by my work neighbor Jody who said that they had great piccatas.  We sat by the bar area for a few minutes, quaffing Cutthroat pale ales while we waited for our table.  It was busy but we didn't wait too long; the restaurant has a good number of tables in a modern setting.  The prices were quite reasonable and the portions hefty without being ridiculous: chewy bread was served (and replenished) with olive oil; H had the chicken piccata which came with a small side salad ($14); and I had the mixed green salad (HUGE with spinach, romaine, pickled beets, peppered artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans and gorgonzola for $7) and a thin-crust margherita pizza ($9).  They have a full bar but I also think that I saw a young couple bring in their own bottle of wine.  Very tasty and we'll be back again for sure.

On Sunday we knocked off another one: "best old homey dining" at Sharon's Cafe in Holladay.  We found a couple of seats at the diner's counter and in no time were being served by Sharon herself.  The joint was hoppin' with quick turnover at the booths and tables; the waitstaff were very friendly and very busy.  H had a Western omelet with homefries (which seemed on the small side for a "three" egg omelet, and the homefry portion was meager); I had two eggs over-medium (just barely), homefries (warm but not at all crispy as I prefer them), a warm biscuit and four immense slices of the best bacon I've found yet in greater SLC.  I am totally up for Wife of the Year since I let H have one of them.  We liked Sharon's better than the Over the Counter Cafe, but it's not threatening the Other Place or Ruth's for our "best of" title.

No comments:

Post a Comment