Thursday, February 24, 2011

busy

We weren't going to ski on Monday, we really weren't.  We looked out the window up the canyon and it was cloudy and gray, and it was supposed to be busy ... and then fifteen minutes later it was blue sky and sunshine and we threw our gear on and ourselves in the truck and off we went.  This time it only took us an hour to get up there: no road closures for avalanche control, just lots and lots of cars due to the holiday long weekend.  It was so busy, in fact, that both Little Cottonwood Canyon and Big Cottonwood Canyon closed their roads to uphill traffic around 11:00 a.m., only allowing ski buses and resort shuttles up since the parking at all four resorts (which is limited) was maxed out.

It was as busy as we've seen it all season with longer than average lift lines and full lodges.  But we rode the singles line and got in plenty of runs in the oodles of still deep, still soft snow.  Well, to be honest, H got in plenty of runs.  I got in a few but my poor little legs were sore and still fatigued from Sunday's skiing, so I begged off the really deep (and fun) stuff.  I did manage to find one run whose moguls weren't ridiculously big, and I did several runs there because, as I learned last spring, for some reason I now like skiing the bumps.

H having another good day in Catherine's Area

We stayed out 'til 3 or so (I called it quits a couple of runs before H did) and then headed home, where by 7:30 p.m. my legs were SO stiff that I could hardly move.  Pathetic - I should be in better shape than that!  There's nothing to do but keep practicing, I guess, and luckily we've got another good-sized storm heading to the mountains just in time for the coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment