Tuesday, July 26, 2011

alta in july

I had Monday off (recognition of Sunday's Pioneer Day holiday) and decided to take a jaunt up to Cecret Lake to see how dear ol' Alta was faring.  There isn't that much snow anymore - well, there's lots more snow than there was last July when H and I went up there - but relatively speaking, there's not too much.  There were, however, fairly fresh ski tracks up at the Apron, and the little streams are full to bursting as what snow there still is continues to melt.  There are hardly any wildflowers even though this is typically prime time in Albion Basin for wildflowers and the little U.S. Forest Service campground at Albion Basin is still not open, as they continue to clean up from the past winter's snowfall.

Let me give you all a visual to help convey just how much snow there was up at Alta this year.  The first picture was taken on April 23, 2011, a week before Alta closed for the season.  Note how I'm bent over the trail sign to Cecret Saddle:


This next picture of the Cecret Saddle trail sign was taken on July 25, 2011.  That's my hydration pack leaning up against the sign.  That pack is 18 inches long.


Let me help you with the math:  in the April photo, I was standing on approximately 18 feet of settled snow.  It's a wonder that as much of it has melted as it has.  My guess is that the snow that is still stacked up in the Apron will be there, still, in the fall when the snow starts falling again.  Incredible!  (And, in related news, Alta season passes go on sale next Monday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment