Monday, July 4, 2011

round valley mtb

A week ago Sunday (yes, still trying to catch up on the posts), we loaded the MTBs in the truck, swung by the Cottonwood Heights Cafe for breakfast and drove out to Park City in the hopes that we might find some MTB trails out there that wouldn't crush my spirit.  [Note: not that I'm discouraged, mind you, I'm just tired of pushing my bike up all the steep, long hills on the Wasatch Front.]  Park City has a fabulous system of MTB trails: well-marked, mapped out and nicely maintained.  The ski mountains have some lunatic single track that I will never in a million years attempt.  We headed to the Round Valley trails instead.

We parked in town and rode a rail trail out to Quinn's Junction trailhead; if you don't want to ride on a paved bike path from town, you can just park out at Quinn's.  From there, we jumped on some wonderful trails: gravel jeep roads, grassy double track, hard-packed single track.  We were away from the Wasatch Mountains a bit, riding through the rolling foothills, and that made all the difference for me.  I was able to ride up the hills - even uphill around corners, with H's coaching - and I even passed some people!  There's a whole maze of trails out there, everything interconnecting, so we rode around and around, taking different trails each time.  We did end up on a few that were more technical, with steeper and loose descents, and I'm still not good at that.  But we ended up riding for nearly 2.5 hours until my little legs pooped out, and it was so much fun the whole time.  I gained a ton of confidence and can't wait to go back and do it again.  Really, really fun.

Afterwards, we drove the truck up to Deer Valley and had a beer whilst watching the mountains.  A guy on a BMW motorcycle, on 50-day road trip to celebrate his 50th birthday, with his MTB mounted on a bike rack!!), stopped and talked with us for a bit before jumping on his MTB and pedaling off into the mountains.  And we watched him ride off, another happy MTBer enjoying what the Wasatch Back has to offer folks on two wheels.  Awesome day.

You don't see that everyday: MTB on a motorcycle

No comments:

Post a Comment