Saturday, December 17, 2011

'tis the season

A couple of nights ago, after I'd gotten back from the gym, and taken out my contacts, and changed into my scruffy evening soft pants, and was finally getting around to scrounging something up for dinner, the doorbell rang.  B went crazy as she always does (except for the first two weeks in this house when she didn't know that the bell meant there was someone at the front door, since we didn't have a doorbell at our Maine house).  I turned on the porch lights, grabbed her collar and was just about to open the door when I heard the singing.  I called to H:  "Quick!  We've got carolers!" and he ran for the camera.  When I opened the door, there were our across-the-street neighbors with some of their extending family and friends, singing their hearts out.  After their carol, one of the grandchildren handed me a couple of candy canes and then all they wished us a Merry Christmas and wandered off down the street to their next performance.

It came upon a 7:45 p.m. clear ...

Sometimes I get a little antsy, being in a neighborhood with people always around.  But then there are moments like this that are so sweet and warm, and I'm grateful that we have such nice neighbors.  And we've never had carolers at our house - any house - before.  If it had only been snowing, it would have been perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment