Friday, February 10, 2012

much more better

Sunday was a much better day for me on the hill!  Yay!  It started out fairly similar - same breakfast, same temperatures (not so sunny, however) but was better from the get-go.  My neck felt better, my boots didn't hurt, my legs weren't tired, I could make turns when and where I wanted ... it was all good, even without any new snow.

Again, we skied off Supreme all morning but this time did numerous runs in Catherine's Area.  It's all well skied out but the snow was still pretty soft and we had a lot of fun playing in the gullies and trees.  I even did some "jumps!"  The moguls on the rest of the Supreme trails were mostly huge and pretty solid, but we sought out the trail edges where it was a little softer and did okay.

Even in the wilds of Catherine's Area,
eastern ski resorts make their presence known

After lunch (my new thing is a handful of almonds and a Snickers bar: enough calories to keep me going but not so much to digest that my body gets tired - plus, Snickers bars!) we had more fun.  We did a couple runs like this: up the Sugarloaf chair, skate around EBT, go in through the gates and traverse across to the Yellow Trail Area and East Greeley - where the snow was good and not very bumped up, out and down Home Run to the Sunnyside beginner lift, and take the Sunnyside lift back up to where we could jump on the Sugarloaf lift again. We also played in the bumps and trees around Cecret Lake and Cabin Hill - so fun.

I managed to make it until 2:30 p.m. this time before my legs called it quits.  H took another run, taking the High Traverse to the end of the ridge and then coming down some steep chutes before rejoining me on the deck.  I was much more pleased with this day than the day before ... and I suspect H was much more pleased that I hadn't groused about things all day.  We both win, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a little kid - until 10, maybe? - my family lived in the Bay Area and we'd occasionally go up to Tahoe: Heavenly, Kirkwood, NorthStar. Anyway - my mom was a super-duper health freak and ski trips were the *only* time I got Snickers bars, for the exact reason you said!
    Glad you guys are getting some runs in. The land of Hannaford's is getting some snow tonight - an inch? Enjoy it out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snickers bars are the best. My folks hiked the Appalachian Trail in the late 90s and my dad said that the worst thing about coming off the trail after they'd finished was that he couldn't have a daily Snickers anymore because he'd no longer be walking it off before lunch.

    ReplyDelete