Monday, February 6, 2012

whiny

Saturday was not my best day skiing ever.  I struggled - a lot.  We'd gotten about five inches from the Thursday storm that rolled through (and then dropped 30+ on the eastern edge of the Rockies in Colorado, grrrr...) but by Saturday morning that was going to be all tracked out.  Still, it was a beautiful, clear, sunny day with temperatures in the high 20s/low 30s, and felt much warmer with the sun, so we packed our lunches, ate our egg & cheese & Canadian bacon sandwiches and trucked on up to Alta.

I knew it was going to be a rough day right from the start when I picked up my boot bag and jammed up my neck and shoulder - before we even got out of the house.  My hands got cold buckling my boots in the parking lot (starting temperature: 17 F).  I never got my boots right all day either: too loose, too tight, digging into my instep, etc.  And once we started skiing, well, I just couldn't do it.  I was tired and it was like my feet were on wrong - I couldn't get my legs to do what I wanted them to do in any conditions but especially in all the bumps that had sprung up on every ungroomed trail.

As we usually do, we skied all morning off the Supreme lift.  We did a couple runs in Catherine's Area and I quickly learned that I had to stay away from the trees because I just wasn't turning quickly enough to avoid them.  Pretty soon I just tried to follow H as best I could, searching out the flat spots whenever possible.  I made it until 2 p.m. and then had had enough; he gave me the keys and did another couple of runs on the front side before meeting me on the deck in front of the Goldminer's Daughter lodge for a $3 PBR (note to self: bring PBRs from home because they're only $0.50 that way).

When we got home I downed some Advil and kept a heating pad on my neck for the remainder of the evening, discouraged by the total fail on my part but determined to do better on Sunday.  Good grief - I could hardly do worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment