Wednesday, June 6, 2012

east canyon recovery

With a two-hour nap Saturday afternoon, I managed to stay feeling pretty good ... until I went to bed that night and really stopped moving.  The next morning, my legs were so stiff and sore that when H asked what we should do today, I really had to think about it.  I wanted to go hiking but any sort of downhill was out of the question (I couldn't even walk down stairs like usual, having to turn around and back down instead); I didn't think I'd fare much better on the mountain bike.

So we loaded our books, sunscreen, a couple of chairs and some beer in the truck, and with a stop at Subway for sandwiches, headed off to East Canyon Reservoir.  We scored a pavilion with a nice view of the water and settled in for the day.  The park was busy, but not packed, with plenty of people wading and swimming - the marked lack of snowpack has meant that the swimmin' holes have warmed up quickly this year.

The rangers had signs up all over the place saying that mountain lions had been spotted at the park this spring.  (H: "Really? Cool."  Ranger-girl: "No, not cool!")  Whenever we got bored, we gave them a call - here kitty-kitty - to no avail.  I would love to see a mountain lion in the wild, but at the same time I really don't want to because I don't want to be lunch.  We saw some sheep pasturing on the far side of the reservoir and figured that was all the enticement a mountain lion would need to come down out of the canyon.

We stopped by the Porcupine on the way back to celebrate our move-iversary (2 years and 8 months).  It wasn't the most eventful weekend we've had but that's okay.  Every now and again it feels good to just sit in the sun for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment