Wednesday, June 27, 2012

while the cat's away

Back in May, when I went out of town for the weekend, H accomplished an amazing amount of activities, documented here and here.  I wasn't quite so ambitious, nor did I have more than twenty-four hours alone, but here's what I did while H was up to Logan, riding his bike really fast.

Scrub-a-dub

Friday after work I swung by a laundromat to wash a couple of bedspreads and a slipcover that desperately needed washing but are too big for our washer.

Crab rangoons and BBQ pork lo mein

Thirty minutes and $6 later, I headed home, stopping off at the liquor store for tequila and Chef Ming's for my take-out dinner.

Mmm-mm-mm-mm-mm!

After dinner, during which B begged incessantly (she usually pesters H but with him gone switched her attentions to me), I made some margaritas with the recently purchased tequila, some homemade sour mix (fresh lemon juice, fresh lime juice and simple syrup), a splash of OJ and another squeeze of lime.  I don't like pre-made sour mix/margarita mix - way too sweet - but this homemade version was tart and tasty.

Not a robot. A cyborg. A cybernetic organism.

I enjoyed my margaritas with some sci-fi, specifically a couple of episodes of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and then hit the hay.

Saturday morning found B and me walking around a local park before the heat set in.  Then I packed up my hiking stuff and headed up Little Cottonwood Canyon to hike the Catherine's loop we'd done a couple times last summer.  Normally this hike is about 5 miles but the road up to the trailhead is still closed (the campground at Albion is still closed - I guess they open on July 1 even if the snow's been gone for ages) so the walk up the road added some time and distance.  Didn't matter to me: it was a beautiful day, cool and clear and breezy, and once I got up above the pass, I had the place all to myself.

Looking down towards Brighton

H called right when I'd gotten back to the car, letting me know that he was on his way back home.  I had enough time to drive back down to the valley, wash my filthy car and enjoy a pink lemonade sour sno-cone before going home and cleaning up so we could go to the Porcupine for an early dinner.

Frosty and delicious

Not a big list to get through, but I did manage to get through all of it ... except for the weeding.  I didn't do the weeding.  Shocking, I know.  But really, when comes down to doing fun stuff vs. yard work, the fun stuff is always going to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment