Wednesday, October 3, 2012

back in the valley

It wasn't Moab but we got back on our MTBs Saturday and did our favorite mile loop on the Round Valley trails in Park City.  The weather was great - warm enough but cool in the breeze or when the sun went behind a cloud - a far cry from some of the blistering days we slogged through this summer.  I don't know whether it was the cooler temperatures or whether I had some confidence leftover from Moab or whether I was happy to be on trails that I was familiar with, but I rode really well (and didn't crash at all!): faster and stronger and better than I have been riding.  I even think I'm up to riding eight of the sixteen Rambler switchbacks (but not eight in a row).

Cruising through the sagebrush

After our ride we had quick beers, then drove home over Guardsman Pass.  I much prefer going over the pass - through Deer Valley, over the ridge and down Big Cottonwood Canyon - to driving on I-80, which scares the bejeezus out of me.  It takes about the same amount of time, maybe five minutes longer over the pass, but is well worth it for the fact that I don't have twelve heart attacks from all the crazy highway drivers. Bit of news: they have paved Guardsman now, where it used to be dirt from the Midway road up to the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon.  The asphalt is extremely rough and H says there's no way he'd want to ride a road bike on it, but it is paved.  I'm sure it's for erosion and dust control but it still makes me kind of sad.  I like dirt roads.

Ride stats:  Distance: 18.61 mi.; time: 1 hr. 54 min.; H's max. speed: 29.5 m.p.h.; total climbing: 1,447 ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment