Saturday, December 3, 2016

opening day 2016, at last

Two weeks delayed, Alta opened Friday, with much anticipation due to the recent, wonderful storm that brought the snowpack right up to where it was on the same date a year ago, only with all the snow coming from one storm rather than spaced out over several weeks.  H was up there, per usual, and as in prior years, I got some texts throughout the day, keeping me apprised of the goings-on:

".. found my [ski] pants. Leaving momentarily."  (8:00 a.m.)

"Alta.  Corral full."  (8:28)

"In line.  Singles.  Out past the end of the ropes.  Crazy."  (8:38)

"Sun is coming out.  All sorts of tracks on the other side of the canyon."  (8:57)

"And we're off" (9:16)

So pretty

Then I heard nothing until 1:45 p.m., when he reported that he was done skiing and was having a PBR on the Goldminer's Daughter patio to celebrate.  When I asked how it was, he replied "Very good.  For an opening day I'd say it was excellent."  Because of this latest, terrific storm, they had a lot more terrain open than they usually do on opening day: Collins, Wildcat and Sugarloaf lifts were all turning.  And that, my friends, is how you finally open the ski season.

No comments:

Post a Comment