Saturday, February 17, 2018

a drop in the bucket

A little storm moved through last Saturday, as H and I hunkered down at home to watch the Olympics (and I coughed and coughed).  We didn't feel like we were missing much skiing-wise that day, since the Alta webcams showed that it was dark and windy, and the snow wasn't stacking up very fast.  It kept going through the evening, however, and ended up leaving behind about eight inches of new snow - just a drop in the echoingly empty bucket that is the current northern Utah snowpack, but welcome nonetheless.

Now, that's a view

The storm moved out overnight, leaving mostly blue skies for Sunday.  With my cough, I wasn't up for skiing myself.  But I sensed H was getting fidgety and I gladly sent him up to Alta for the day.  He said that the bus was busy but not completely packed, and while the initial corral at Collins was full, things seemed to clear out fairly quickly.  Eight inches didn't do a whole lot of good but it did soften things up a bit and he enjoyed moderately soft turns until around 2 before catching the bus back home.

That little storm seems to have woken things up snowstorm-wise around here too.  We got a nice Thursday storm and now, as I write this on February 17th, what may be the biggest storm of the season is heading our way.  Better late than never - bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment