Monday, June 25, 2018

changing it up (just a little)

I don't have a lot of confidence as a MTBer.  I do love it but am a wobbly cyclist and get nervous on trails that are new to me.  This is why for years, we have done the same route in Round Valley, building my bike-handling skills and confidence.  H has had the patience of a really patient person, putting up with this since he's such a better rider than I am.

Finishing the PorcUclimb

The last couple of MTB outings, while still at Round Valley, have switched things up a bit.  This past Saturday, like last time, we have mixed our trails up, eschewing our regular route.  And I have loved it!  We have now ridden nearly every trail in Round Valley and I have proved to myself that I can ride them.  I still have to put my foot down in spots but for the most part, I am riding (albeit slowly).  With this new confidence, maybe we'll try some other trail head soon.

16.67 miles for this outing

I don't remember what all we did but our Saturday route included Rademan Ridge, Rambler (at Round Valley, all trails lead to Rambler), up the sections we call "My Nemesis" and "The Staircase," and up PorcUclimb twice.  I really like that trail: the climb is gradual and the corners are not too tight - I actually wish it was longer!  After the last PorcUclimb climb, we then knocked off a new (to both of us) trail, Down Dog, which is a downhill-only, long, flowy trail with wide corners.  Even though I am timid on descents, it was a lot of fun. 

Last Saturday's route

H enjoyed it too: a couple of MTBers passed me and started to catch up to him, so he pushed his speed a little to keep out in front.  One guy tried to keep up and at the bottom, locked up his brakes and went over the handlebars.  The guy got up fine, gave H a high-five and said, "Thanks for the race!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment