Sunday, August 11, 2019

dead horse point state park

It cooled off overnight, making for pleasant sleeping with the windows open, and Monday came in with a spectacular sunrise.  We got the biking stuff into the truck and were once again on the road at 7 a.m. to drive up to Dead Horse Point State Park.  We were surprised that it was already fairly warm up there - around 75 F - but were consoled by the fact that we were literally the only ones in the parking lot.  Two bikers did come through while we were gearing up but out on the trails we never saw them - we didn't see anyone out on the trails at all.  A far cry from May/September!

So scenic

Although these are trails I know fairly well at this point, the heat was bothering me a bit and I was riding slowly (more slowly than usual).  I felt like I did a little better on the newer trails (Whiptail, etc.) than I had last time, however.  It was very quiet out there and not even much wind to keep us company.  H saw two desert cottontails out taking advantage of the peace and quiet.

When we were done, I skipped the post-ride beer because my stomach was feeling a little upset, probably from the heat.  Back in town, it got hotter and hotter, so we siesta'ed after we got cleaned up, then walked to Woody's for some beers before dinner.  It was 102 F and we were hoping that those temperatures wouldn't stick around for the whole week.

Ride stats:  16.91 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment