Tuesday, September 1, 2020

hottest hike yet

 The third hike-on-repeat was the Moab Rim trail, which we had only just done at the end of July.  H opted out so I wanted some place close by and easily done since it was just Milt and me.  We cranked our way up the Stairmaster trail and it didn't take long before I broke a sweat.  That trail is just one of those that no matter how often I do it, it always kicks my butt.

Taking a break in the shade

I had hoped to do the loop that we'd done last time but it was noticeably hotter than the last couple of days.  Milton - who still hasn't learned that chasing after rabbits leads to overheating - was drinking a lot of water and throwing himself down in the shade a lot, even before we reached the halfway point.  

I didn't want him to get heat stroke so we just went out to Tire Test Hill and then went back the way we came; I also kept him on the leash to keep him from over exerting himself and draped my white long-sleeved t-shirt over his back to try to reflect the sun's rays.  This seemed to help and by the time we were heading back down the slab to the parking lot, he had perked back up.  It's tough being a black dog in the desert!

We paused in the parking lot for about fifteen minutes, Milt lying in the shade and me downing a cold one as, above us, a couple of jeeps picked their way down the hill.  We had walked past one navigating the Z-Turn obstacle and my heart skipped a couple beats as they almost went over.  I don't really feel the need to ride the Moab Rim but I sure do enjoy watching other folks attempt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment