Monday, December 21, 2020

saturday doings

Back in SLC for the week, where we got a decent snowstorm that gave Alta around 28" (YTD total: 110").  This got all the locals excited about skiing, which filled up the available parking by 9:30 a.m. on Saturday in both Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons.  H got up to Wildcat Base at 8:10 and reported that the parking lot was half full with more than an hour until chairs would be loaded; it would fill by 9:10.  Traffic was heavy but not stop-and-go until Snowbird.  Because of COVID precautions, the lift lines were slow (twenty minutes per run) and he didn't even try Supreme because the lines were so long.  Conditions were better than his first outing of the year but certainly not that good: firm and fast.  He finished up at 1:10 and headed down the canyon, well ahead of the red snake that was reported later.  When he got home, he shook his head and said that if things were as busy and slow now, he couldn't imagine what Christmas week was going to be like.  I guess we'll find out.

Partly sunny, all pretty

While H was getting his ski on, Milton and I were keeping busy.  We did our three mile walk (sunny but chilly in the high 20s F), then a couple of quick errands.  Once home and cleaned up, I went through a box of my old paperwork that we'd found in a closet (college transcripts, bank statements from the early 2000s).  Gosh I'm glad we moved that out here eleven years ago!  

Some of the ornaments my dad made me: Santa 
from a crab shell, hand-carved and painted 
cat,  merganser and loon)

Then I decorated our little Christmas tree/holiday ornament display system - which took me all of twenty-six minutes - and made a batch of turmeric chai and a pineapple upside-down cake.  It has been ages since I had one of those cakes and when my brother's family sent me a new cookbook, Isa Does It, and I found that recipe, I knew I had to make it.  It's very easy to make, vegan and turned out pretty tasty (although it didn't rise much because I didn't take into account the effect of higher altitude has on baking).  I will definitely be trying it again, next time with half the leavening agent.

Retro dessert time




No comments:

Post a Comment