Thursday, January 7, 2021

homefront

 H took the week off between Christmas and New Year's.  He usually does that, and usually skis each day.  Due to the COVID-19 restrictions this year, however, he's not taking the bus, driving instead.  They have gotten much stricter about requiring snow tires and traction devices on snowy days in the canyon this year; since H has been waiting for his new snow tires to get in, this meant he was only able to ski a couple of times when the roads were clear and dry.  He made it up to Alta on Wednesday (New Year's Eve Eve) and on Friday, reporting both times that although the parking lots filled up quickly, the lines weren't quite as long as before.  He also came back pretty chilled both times, but happy that he'd gotten out of the house for a while.

It's been a slow start to the snow year

Me, I ended up turning my Alta pass in for my money back.  When I got a notification of the credit to m y account, I was a little wistful.  This will be the first year in well over a decade that I haven't had a season pass.  

You can see the inversion filling the valley below

I am determined to keep busy, however!  I didn't have to make dinner during the week - since he wasn't working, H volunteered to do that, so I got home to soups, chilis and pastas all week - but spent some quality time in the kitchen on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I made: vegan "parmesan cheese," a gingerbread cake with whiskey-soaked raisins, a red lentil soup (to freeze), a tofu scramble (one of our favorite recipes) for Friday dinner, a winter vegetable variation on a shepherd's pie for Saturday dinner (with H guest-starring on the mashed potatoes), a white chili with delicata squash (for Sunday dinner and to freeze), a pan of scratch brownies and a couple of tiny loaves of bread (which hadn't risen but I baked them anyway, figuring we could always toast it for croutons).  I also did two loads of laundry and put away the Christmas stuff, plus Milton and I did our three mile loop three days in a row, so on the homefront it was a successful weekend, even if it wasn't all that exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment