Friday, January 29, 2021

instead of standing in line

 We finally got a nice little storm in northern Utah this past weekend, which dropped around two feet up for the ski areas but only a couple of inches down in the Salt Lake valley.  The roads were never even very bad - which is how I like my snowstorms.  The new snow led the hordes to the mountains, however: by 6 a.m. Saturday morning, vehicles were lined up at the bottom of Little Cottonwood Canyon, ready to head up as soon as allowed.  

I've never seen lines like that [PC: DCW]

H had some work stuff get in the way, plus he didn't want to tangle with the crowds.  From the picture above, you can see what the morning lift lines looked like at Alta.  That's nuts.  You would never know there was a pandemic on, to be honest.  So while he did fretted about not skiing and did deep dives into western ghost towns and van build-outs, Milton and I did our morning run loop.  And then I cooked.  A lot.

Vegan kaldereta

I started off with a pan of scratch brownies Friday night.  I've made those so often that it scarcely counts as baking anymore - I've nearly got the recipe memorized and we go through a pan a week.

Lentil soup (we eat a lot of soup)

Saturday, I dehydrated tofu jerky, made three meals' worth of lentil soup to freeze and baked sixteen whole meal muffins (tasty and hearty, with oats, carrot, apple and raisins).  Dinner was a vegan Filipino kaldereta: a stew traditionally made with goat, ours had soy curls (eats like chicken) plus potatoes, carrots, peas, green and red peppers and chilies.  It was absolutely delicious and a little miso and peanut butter made the tomato-y broth velvety.

Whole meal muffins

On Sunday, I tried a new applesauce bread recipe (it seems stodgy but should be okay toasted, so I stuck it in the freezer for later.  I also made a chickpea, sweet potato and kale soup, also for the freezer, some kale chips and for dinner we had a spiced lentil tamale pie with a cornmeal crust.  It was quite good and made enough for leftovers.

Lentil tamale pie

I won't say that flexing my cookery muscles is as much fun as skiing.  But I admit that I am getting a lot of satisfaction out of exploring new recipes.  I have always loved to collect recipes and cookbooks.  Now I have the opportunity to actually make what's in them.


No comments:

Post a Comment