Friday, December 17, 2021

and so it begins

I had written a whole long post about how frustrated and annoyed we are at the changes Alta has made, becoming more and more unfriendly to local skiers.  I deleted it all because we don't need that kind of negativity around here.  But yes, Alta is changing and it's really disappointing.  That being said, ski season has begun!

There's no snow in them thar hills

H missed Alta's opening day (November 24) because we were in Moab.  His first days of the 2021/2022 ski season were December 4 and 5: he drove up because (a) the UTA ski buses aren't running yet and so (b) the new pay-to-park program is not running yet.  This year I kept my pass (having cashed it in last year) but I sent H on without me so he could scope out this year's scene.  

First day selfie

Plus there's been no new snow for weeks and with a 30" base, I knew the skiing wasn't going to be that good.  When H texted me from the Wildcat base parking lot when he got there on Saturday, he said that the bowl we descended on our Emma Ridge hike earlier this year was completely bereft of snow.  In December.  That's not good.  It was busy enough that it got skied off within forty-five minutes.  He stuck it out long enough to count as a ski day and then was home by 1:30 p.m.

Did I mention no snow?

H skied Sunday too (I had actually intended to go with him, to the point of dragging out my skis and poles and boots and clothes, but ended up bailing in the end).  It was slightly less crowded and still plenty sunny but noticeably colder, with a consistent chilly wind.  He was definitely in a better mood - even a mediocre day of skiing is generally better than a day of not skiing.  As for me, I managed to move my ski gear upstairs to the mud room so now I'm poised and ready to go next time.  Hope we get some snow!


Best ski vehicles ever



No comments:

Post a Comment