Tuesday, January 18, 2022

january bluebird

 Sunday was a bluebird day with temperatures ranging from low 20s to low 30s - usually my favorite temperature range for skiing, although for some reason I got pretty cold, especially my feet (I blame my boots: they're light and soft and I think they're particularly cold).  At 8:30 p.m. that night, my toes were still tingling and throbbing ... but the skiing was pretty darn good!  

Catherine's Area 

We got on the 7:25 a.m. bus - much less crowded than the 7:40 - which got us to the Albion base lodge an hour before lifts opened.  (We deployed our books, which do get a little beaten up from banging around our boot bags during the course of a ski season.)  The day would be busier than the last Sunday, but not busy.  We went straight to Supreme, after riding out of the base area on Sunnyside, and did four runs there, including a hike halfway into Catherine's Area.  I skied it terribly but the snow was quite soft.

When I had to scurry into Alf's to warm up my toes, H took several runs on Sugarloaf.  Then, we moved over to Collins for a trip through the Ballroom (softer than the previous weekend).  H explored Fred's Trees a bit and I stuck to the groomers and the edges of groomers, by afternoon finding the trails to be slightly more skied off than my lack of edges preferred.  Back on Sugarloaf, we did Razorback and a cabin run, pausing for some time to goggle at the massive amount of avalanche debris piled up on Cecret Lake.  We've never seen it like that - a huge slide must have come off Devil's Castle, launched itself off the cliffs over the lake and then scrunched up on the far shore.

Ski patrol got Baldy's Main Chute open around noon (H didn't ski it but did remark that he should probably give that a go again sometime) and we could see lots of people hiking up.  In the lodge, as we were changing out of our boots to catch the bus home, we overhead a couple of people talking about it, saying that it skied great.  All that December snow sure helped (although we do seem to be in a bit of a dry patch now).


No comments:

Post a Comment