Sunday, February 13, 2022

kardemummabullar

It has been so busy at work (I do estate planning/probate work and we have been ridiculously busy since the pandemic began and people had to face their own mortality) that I was overwhelmed before I went back east and then figuratively drowning since I got back.  Not a lot of time for anything other than work and laundry (there's always laundry).  Once this week flew by, I was looking forward to a weekend of cooking and skiing.  

I waved H off Saturday around 7:15 to catch the ski bus, downed a couple of slices of toast and some coffee, and then Milton and I headed out for our 3.5+ mile Dimple Dell loop.  It took us rather longer than it sometimes does but poor M hasn't had a whole lot of outdoors time recently and I wanted him to be able to sniff everything he wanted to sniff for as long as he wanted to sniff it.

Once back, I started a kardemummabullar dough and then showered, got a load of laundry in and started prepping veggies for a Hatch green chile stew while the dough rose.  I have had such struggles with yeasted baking in the last couple of years since I started baking.  This time I was very careful with the recipe AND reduced the yeast by 25%, per a high altitude baking post I found.  When I pulled the cover off the bowl after an hour, I actually squeaked with surprise and delight: it rose!  The dough doubled in size! I DID IT!!!!

Tasty but time-consuming

Of course I didn't really know how to twist up the buns, and I may have overbaked them slightly. and they would be improved by having a glaze of some sort.  But they came out wonderfully and tasted good and I am thrilled that I finally had a bake work out!  It gives me all sorts of hope and optimism for the next time I try to bake something (which would have been an olive oil bread on Sunday but I ran out of time).  Fingers crossed that I may have turned the corner and figured out how to bake.

Other things made but not pictured: Hatch green chile stew with jackfruit and chocolate bundt cake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment