Saturday, August 19, 2023

better but still behind

 A couple of weeks after I did my Alta hike, I did a Snowbird hike to see how the wildflowers were progressing.  I got up there for a 7 a.m. start, and got a really good parking spot.  It was about ten degrees warmer than it had been for the Alta hike - less good for those wanting it chilly, but easier for me to eat my trail bagel when I could still feel my fingers.

Gentian

Flax (maybe)

The route was up the Peruvian Gulch trail, to the Cirque trail, and then back down a combination of the Peruvian Gulch trail and access road.  I have to admit that I don't love this route.  It is very steep and the portions along the road can be loose.  With my ankle still not back to normal, I am extra-cautious and don't want to slide and twist it again.  I did want to see those flowers though.

Hillside of lupines

False hellebore (maybe)

Long story short: the flowers are much further along than they were for the wildflower festival but they are still behind where they should be.  I saw sunflowers, lupine, paintbrush, geraniums, gentians (just starting to bloom), flax, sulfur buckwheat, horsemint, fireweed, bluebells, clover-headed mint or scorpionweed, wild roses, anemones, columbine and coneflowers (not blooming yet).  No elephantheads, though, as the spot they are usually found was just barely uncovered by snow.

Sulfur buckwheat

At least eight varieties here

Critter-wise, I saw lots of marmots, potguts and birds and heard, but did not see, pikas.  I got passed by a trailrunner on the Cirque ridge on the way up.  On my way down, I counted thirty hikers and one avalanche puppy slogging their way up the trail.  And I was rather dismayed to have to swat a bunch of mosquitoes before the sun cleared the mountains.

Gad Valley/Twin Peaks

Snow bridge

While it had been pleasant and breezy at first, chilly on the ridge even, the sun was getting stronger and the clouds had cleared by the time I got back to the car.  Things were heating up quickly in the valley - H texted me to say that the A/C had come on for the first time at 10:30 a.m. - and a steady stream of cars was turning into the Bird's lots as city folks attempted to escape the heat.  The way the snow was clinging to the shady gullies, they'd come to the right place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment