Thursday, August 3, 2023

snow going

 In my previous post, I mentioned that the wildflowers are behind schedule due to all the snow (903 inches, in case you forgot).  That huge snowpack melted fairly quickly this spring but there is still a decent amount up at Alta, depending on the aspect: anything north- or east-facing is holding onto it.  When I went up there July 15, I opted not to do my favorite Catherine's Pass/Catherine's Area loop because I had a feeling that there'd still be a lot of snow.  Instead, I did the back-to-front loop ... where I still encountered more snow than I thought I would.

The entry to Gunsight looks a little rough

I parked above Albion base, getting up there before 7 a.m.  It was 50 F, super refreshing and cold enough to make my fingers numb.  I walked up the Summer Road, munching my bagel, and took the connector to the Albion Meadows trail.  This gave me a clear view of Gunsight and, if you can scramble down through the entry, I'm pretty sure it's still skiable, at least for four or five turns.

Very cold and flowing fast

At Alf's, I turned right and continued up the service road to Germania Pass.  I passed one guy but otherwise had this uphill stretch to myself, if you don't count the marmots and pikas who took turns yelling at me.  The runoff creeks were flowing enthusiastically and the trail got wetter the higher I went, as the snow banks melted in the strong sun.

Two hikers/skiers heading to Baldy on the EBT

As I approached the Collins saddle between Collins Gulch and the backside, I saw two hikers on the EBT, skis strapped to their packs, en route to climb Baldy for a run at the Main Chute.  I sort of wished I had my skis myself (not really) as I started down.  Up this high (around 10,000 feet), the snow was deep enough that I had to scramble up on top of the banks.  It wasn't too slippery but it was firm and any place that the morning sun hadn't yet gotten to had frozen up overnight.  

The Ballroom

Main Chute.  Bring your rock skis

Conscious of my weak ankle, I picked my way down through the Ballroom.  There I saw three more hiker/skiers: two on their way up and one who was just finishing a Main Chute run.  There were a few more snow banks for me to navigate but once I got to the top of the Strawberry run above Watson Shelter, it had all melted.  From there it was just steep, loose service roads down to the base areas where my beer was waiting for me.

Some wicked green


No comments:

Post a Comment