Saturday, November 14, 2009

this is how you say that

Despite the fact that none of you left me comments with your thoughts on how to say these place names like real Utahns, I'm going to give you the phonetic pronunciations anyway. Because I'm a nice person. And I hate loose ends.

Hurricane ----- HUR-uh-kun
Duchesen ----- du-SHANE
Monticello ---- mon-tuh-SELL-o
Alta ----------- AL-tuh (not ALL-tuh)
Panguitch ---- PAN-gwich
Salina -------- suh-LINE-uh
Weber ------- WEE-ber
Tooele -------- too-WILL-uh
Uinta --------- you-IN-tuh
Oquirrh ------ OH-ker

5 comments:

  1. We were just embarrassed we couldn't do phonetic spellings....thanks for taking pity on us and posting them so we didn't have to admit this. Looks like you're learning a new language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I moved to SLC from San Diego for school in 1999. I SO remember learning all of those, and being weirded out. More will likely come up, although I can't think of any right now. I've enjoyed reading your tales of adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a new language: Tooele and Oquirrh had us totally stumped, and I still have to think before I say Alta so as not to sound like I'm from away. Which, obviously, I am, but you know what I mean.

    And Catherine, thanks so much for stopping by, reading AND commenting! Come back again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT POST! I just found your blog; love it! I am from away/a "Gentile" also, though I've been in Utah for 5 years. As it happens, I live in one of the places on that list, and I would love to re-print your pronunciation guide on my blog, if I may (with credit and link to you, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mamie! And reprint, credit and link away, by all means!

    ReplyDelete