Monday, December 14, 2009

just one thing so far

We've been out here in SLC since early October, learning our way around, finding things to do and places to go.  So far there's only been one thing that I've missed/preferred from back east: the grocery stores.  I've tried 'em all out here: Smith's, Dan's, Albertson's (now Fresh Market), even Ream's, which has got to be the worst name for a grocery store ever.

Food prices seem expensive out here - although with my Smith's customer card I tend to get $10-12 off each shopping session - variety seems a little limited for some products and the produce is in poorer shape than you would expect, seeing how we're closer to the growing centers (California, the Midwest) than Maine is.  Dan's has the best deli counter and garlic bread and Ream's has 2-L of Diet Coke for $0.67.  When pressed, I guess I like the Sandy Fresh Market (f/k/a Albertson's) the best, but I mostly think these stores are set up foolishly.

For example, at Smith's, you push your cart up to the check-out station but you don't unload the groceries.  The clerk has to unload the groceries and scan them, and it seems to take twice as long as it did back east.  Pluswhich, at Hannaford I unloaded my own cart, sorting the heavier items first so the bagger would pack them into the sturdiest canvas boat-n-tote bags. 

Also, recently I made lasagne (a very big deal since I pretty much never cook anything that messes up a pan very much).  You need ricotta for lasagne so off I went to Smith's where, on autopilot, I bypassed the fancy cheese section by the deli and went to the back of the store to the dairy department.  Milk, juice, eggs, sour cream, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese ... no ricotta.  I doublechecked: still no ricotta.  Totally annoyed, I paid for the rest of my groceries and then went to the nearby Fresh Market.  Dairy section:  milk, juice, eggs, sour cream (including a Mexican crema I'm intrigued by), yogurt, cottage cheese ... no ricotta.  You have got to be friggin' kidding me.  I went all the way across the store to the fancy cheese section by the deli.  No ricotta.  On my way back to the dairy department, I found yet another refrigerated section with prepackaged deli meats, that processed American "cheese," cream cheese ... and ricotta.  Now, while I was grateful to finally find the ricotta, I was flabbergasted that these supermarkets have THREE separate dairy-ish/cheese locations (I'm assuming that Smith's is set up the same way).  Back east there are only TWO: fancy cheeses by the deli, and then all the rest of the dairy products.  Much easier to find the ricotta there.

One of the paralegals at my new job gave me the names of a bunch of smaller, local markets to check out (Liberty Heights Fresh Market at 1290S 1100E, SLC; The Store at 2050E 6200S and 4695 So. Holladay Blvd., both in Holladay; and the Winter Farmer's Market on Saturdays at Caputo's Market and Deli, 312W 300S, SLC) but I haven't managed to get there yet.  I really don't have the inclination to shop at five different stores for the regular weekly shopping - for specialty items, sure, or if I didn't work Fridays and had a little more time.  I just want a good, sensible, easily-navigable supermarket, which is apparently a little too much to ask.  Hannaford, I apologize for not appreciating you more.

5 comments:

  1. How funny - I swapped Harmon's for Hannaford. When I lived there, Harmon's was the only place that was "good enough" in enough categories to be worthwhile... There's one at about 78th South and 7th East. Whole Foods (f/k/a Wild Oats) would likely have the best produce, but of course it's spendy.

    I was never able to do regular groceries at Liberty Heights Fresh and Caputo's. While wonderful shops both, they can be pricy, too. The farmers market is always a good bet.

    Thanks for the reminder to appreciate my local Hannaford. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - I didn't know about Harmon's! I'll have to check it out ... thank you! I'm very much looking forward to the farmers' market too - it's so big compared to the one I went to in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friend Mouse,
    It's been a while since I've caught up - very busy here back east with all the festivus activities. I am sitting here howling about the drop down spreadsheets for planning activities. Yes, anyone who knows Mr. Mouse would not be surprised. I think he has an unhealthy attachment to excel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up in the sticks as I did (Maui), we didn't have ricotta. No joke. My Mom always used cottage cheese. I had no idea, until college, that ricotta was the "right" cheese to use. Oh, yeah, and we drank powdered milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh: picturing Maui as "the sticks." But I was actually thisclose to buying cottage cheese when I thought I couldn't have any ricotta - probably would have worked out just fine too.

    ReplyDelete