Friday, May 7, 2010

an iguana of another color

A friend of ours was in town for business on Wednesday so after work we threw B in the car and drove out to Park City to meet him for dinner.  He had suggested meeting at the Blue Iguana (locations in both SLC (165 S West Temple) and Park City (628 Park Avenue), but not to be confused with the Red Iguana, which is totally different ownership from what I can tell (if I'm wrong, let me know)).  Being Cinco de Mayo, H and I were totally leery of going to a Mexican restaurant, anticipating long waits and big crowds and annoying loud margarita drinkers.  Lo and behold, Park City is a ghost town during the shoulder season and aside from the elderly mariachi band strolling the dining rooms and the tequila-shooting but sedate birthday party at the next table, it was really quite tame.

The Blue Iguana is quite not the Red Iguana food-wise.  The chips and salsa were quite good - both fresh and flavorful, with the salsa a chunkless puree.  The entrees were fine too: I had the tinga tacos (slow-roasted pork with chiles); H had the ubiquitous chile verde; and our friend had a camaron taco (shrimp) and an asada taco (steak).  It was all tasty enough - my tacos had a lovely flavor and chile heat - but I didn't walk out of there raving like I did at the R.I. 

There are no beers on tap at the Blue Iguana, although there are plenty of Mexican and domestic brews in bottles and cans - so we stopped by the No Name Saloon afterwards.  H and I had visited the No Name on one of our vacation trips to Utah: it's a funky old place with plenty of good Utah microbrews on tap.  Again, it was awfully low key although perhaps that's not unusual for a Wednesday night.  Also: I think they'd redone the bathrooms since we were there last - much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment