Wednesday, May 26, 2010

round two of the may visitors

The reason it's been so sparse around here is because the parental units, mine this time, were in town for a visit and there's no posting when you're hosting!  H and I had been hoping for great weather what with it being nearly June and all, and while it didn't reach the epic levels of suckitude that we got when P and C were here, it was much cooler and rather cloudier than we really wanted.  Still, we shouldn't complain since the snow held off until the day they left.

We started the visit off with a bang, taking my folks straight to the Cottonbottom for garlic burgers and beers as soon as they got off the plane. We didn't stay up too late catching up, however, as we had an appointment to meet my dad's college roommate and his wife, who live in Holladay, at Ruth's for breakfast at 8:15 a.m. Sunday morning. They traded reminiscences over huevos rancheros and corned beef hash, and my dad managed to come up with one or two stories that Howard's wife hadn't heard yet. I'm surprised that she didn't bolt for her car as soon as she was able.


Still a little bit of snow

After breakfast we kept going up Emigration Canyon to do that hike up Dale Peak from the Little Dell Reservoir overlook that H and I did back in January.  This was our best day weather-wise, clear and sunny, and the trail was mostly clear of snow, plus we had a great view into the Salt Lake valley since there was no inversion this time.  The wildflowers are starting to burst onto the scene but the highlight was all the little horned toads that were scurrying around in the underbrush.  My dad caught one for photographic purposes and will hopefully send me the picture so I can share it with you.  Horned toads are my new favorite reptile!  After the hike, we did a quick drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon to see ALL the snow and then stopped in at the Hog Wallow for beers on the patio.  The pleasant and shady patio at the Hog Wallow is my new favorite outdoor bar area!

My folks had brought their camping stuff and headed south to Zion on Monday morning (where they took lots of fantastic hikes and didn't hardly get rained on at all), returning to our house Thursday afternoon.  We had dinner at the Red Iguana - something my mom had requested we do - and it was, as expected, fabulous.  I had the red pipian mole this time (good, but not as complex as the mole negro), H had chile verde, my dad had enmoladas (refried bean tortilla packets smothered in mole negro, queso ranchero and cotija) and my mom had the best of all - the special pistachio mole over a grilled chicken breast.

H had to work Friday so my folks and I drove down to Provo Canyon.  Mom's other request was to check out the Sundance Resort (even though I couldn't promise that ol' Bob Redford would be there) but first we drove past the resort to hike up to pretty Stewart Falls.  It's a fairly easy hike, about 3 miles round-trip, through meadows and aspen glades on a well-traveled path, ending up at a lovely waterfall with a view of the ski resort.  They even allow dogs on this trail so B got to go with us: she was very well-behaved although she didn't like it when I left my mom holding the leash so my dad and I could glissade down a snowbank.  After strolling through Sundance, we hopped onto the Provo River Parkway at Vivian Park, walking for a bit along the river in the sunshine.  We called H on our drive north and he met us at the Porcupine for a couple of beers.  You always have to go to the Porcupine, you know.

Bird-watching at Fielding Garr Ranch

Saturday morning was pretty socked in along the Wasatch Front but it looked clear to the west, so we put aside our new rule about not going to Antelope Island in April and May, and went to Antelope Island.  By the time we got to the Fielding Garr Ranch, the clouds had moved in and it was cold and rainy ... but amazingly the wind picked up - a lot - and blew the storm system through.  It ended up being clear and sunny, and the wind kept up which kept the dang noseeums at bay.  We hiked up to Dooly Knob (my dad really kind of wanted to do Frary Peak but none of us was dressed for how cold it was) which has great views of the north/west portions of the island.  The bison were pretty scarce but we saw a lot of pronghorns, including one who came pretty near and wasn't at all concerned about us snapping pictures of him.

No more pictures, people, that's enough

We stopped in at Squatter's on our way through town, quaffing some nice brews and watching some of the U.S. women's soccer game vs. Germany.  Then, ravenous, we went to Taste of Punjab for an early dinner: butter chicken (a tandoori curry), lamb saag (with spinach), chicken vindaloo (with potatoes) and the best dish, once again chosen by Mom, lamb coconut korma.

Spires above Neff Canyon

Sunday morning once again found us breakfasting with my dad's roommate Howard, this time at Millcreek Cafe & Eggworks, a new breakfast place for H and me (and one recommended by my work-neighbor Jody).  It's bright and shiny and modern; my dad and I had biscuits and sausage gravy, which gravy could have been spicier although I suppose it's dependent on the sausage, and Howard was a little surprised to find crispy tortillas with his huevos rancheros.  After breakfast Howard took us up Neff Canyon which is beautiful: shaded by lots of trees, with a vivacious stream down the middle and interesting cliffs and rock formations overhead.  After that hike we thought to do a little more walking and went up to the Living Room where a nice hiker took our picture while we entertained her black lab puppy.  All that hiking made us thirsty so we stopped in at the Desert Edge brewery before heading home.

It's much greener in the foothills these days

And that's the visit - because we had to get up reeeeeeeaaallly early to get my folks to the airport Monday morning, but luckily they got out before the snow really started. And, of course, it was sunny and in the mid-70s when they got back to Maine that afternoon. Figures. But, as H and I are learning, the weather doesn't need to be ideal when you've got enthusiastic visitors who are up for anything. As long as "anything" is hiking, drinking beer and spending time with people you care about.


What a sketchy crew!

1 comment:

  1. How did that happen? A decent photo of all!

    ReplyDelete