Saturday, December 11, 2010

low impact consumerism

I prefer to patronize locally-owned businesses, if at all possible - keeping the money in the community is important.  Even better, if I can swing it, I prefer to shop at second-hand stores for clothes, books, furniture and music.  We've been so busy doing active stuff that I haven't been doing much shopping (to H's relief), but here are some of the places I've found recently:

Slow Train - Located along a hip stretch of Broadway in downtown SLC (its neighbors include the Tavernacle and the funky Green Ant), Slow Train is a great indie music stores, specializing in vinyl and having a big selection of used CDs and records and a great local music section.

The Finer Consigner - A pretty big consignment furniture store (with an even larger sister store south in Pleasant Grove), I stop in whenever I have the chance to see what's new.

Thrift Town - I've had the best luck here clothing-wise in this busy Brickyard thrift store.  Great t-shirt selection (and prices).

Plato's Closet - an independently owned and operated secondhand clothing store franchise with five locations in Utah.  I went to the Draper one and found it bursting with clothes (mostly women's but the men's section had a nice selection of snap-front cowboy shirts), bags and shoppers.  Most of the customers were youthful hipster-doofuses but I was thrilled to see a couple of elderly ladies exclaiming over the handbag selection while the alt-rock Christmas songs blared from the store's speakers.

Deseret Industries - this is the LDS Church's version of Goodwill.  There's a huge store in Sandy and I'll need to go back when I'm not in such a rush, because there's lots to look through.

No comments:

Post a Comment