Wednesday, December 1, 2010

the rest of the weekend

We went back to Alta on Saturday because, you know, it's there.  But they still hadn't gotten any new snow so the groomers were pretty hard (not icy, just hard) and the flat light made it tough to navigate.  Our new favorite spot to the right of the Wildcat lift still had tons of deep, soft snow but my legs were so fatigued from Thursday's run and Friday's skiing that I was all but useless, fighting the snow every turn.  I ended up going into the lodge after just over two hours - I cleverly keep a paperback in my bootbag just for these occasions - and H stayed out for another hour or so.

Sunday brought an all day snowstorm, leaving us with about eight inches all told at the house and thirteen up at Alta.  We did not ski Sunday, opting out of the windy and wet conditions.  B and I did take a nice long walk at Dimple Dell; and H wowed the neighbors with his impressive driveway-shoveling technique.

Oh!  If you're interested in what early season backcountry skiing looks like these days, click through on this link.  It's to a fun, short video shot by one of the guys I work with who got out into the Wasatch Front for his first turns yesterday.  (Pretty slick editing too - he's a Mac guy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment